Saturday, March 12, 2011

But I feel like a WALRUS... (how to have a vbac)


Seth Rueben Hadley
born 3/3/11
9lb 6oz
22 in (mostly head)



This is how he got here:

To preface, my little Kyla...



...was born 10 days late. At the last minute doc determined her to be an a breech position. I know, they tell me this when she is 10 days late! She was born later that day via cesarean. I was told at the time I could have a vbac and have been hoping for one since. I always felt robbed having never even felt a contraction with my first pregnancy.

Now back to this pregnancy and little Seth.

At my 38 week appointment the doc says "You are a ZERO!" or something like that - referring to dilation I hope.

At 39 weeks - still ZERO. At this point I learn that doc will not induce labor. If I do not go into labor on my own by 41 weeks I will have a repeat cesarean. I rallied and advertised the conditions of my pregnancy through town and on Facebook.

A few of you had some suggestions - Castor oil, walking, Black and Blue Cohash, Red Raspberry Tea, spicy foods, horse back rides, bumpy car rides, Olive Garden Dressing, Essential Oils, warm bath, sit on the washer, vacuum, and "danger, don't do it!" Oh, and Sex of course was a hot topic. To those physical suggestions -like walking- I say "But I feel like a WALRUS!"


Nevertheless, I engaged in at least half of these activities. These things showed up magically at my home - thank you friends!


I walked into my next appointment feeling great, confident even.

At 40 weeks - still ZERO!!! No more appointments for me. I was scheduled for a c-section on March 4 which would be 41 weeks. I gave up. Even asked if I could just schedule it for the next day. Thank goodness they didn't let me. But, for the next few days I felt like this:


Tuesday March 1, I woke up with contractions. Hope. I started up again drinking Raspberry Tea, walking, and using Clary Sage. For two days the contractions stayed between 7 and 20 minutes apart. Thursday at 2:30 am my water broke. Thrilled! Kyle convinced me I needed to go to the hospital even though contractions were still 7 minutes apart. We got there by 4:30. Dilation 2. No more ZERO's!!! Kyle hung in with me while I labored til about 11:30 and they made me get an epidural (vbac rules I guess) which I didn't want, but am so happy I had! It was wonderful; I could still feel and even move my legs and feel contractions, but the intensity/pain was gone. I started pushing at about 6. They let me rest for awhile with my leg propped up and at about 7 doc came in and said if I wasn't progressing by 7:30 he needed to do a c-section after all. Seth wasn't loving all the laboring I guess. Usually, this would've crushed me and I would've given up. Somehow (through faith and prayer) I let it roll off my back thinking "We'll see doc, we'll see." Kyle helped me and I pushed and I pushed and Seth was born at 7:29. I am so grateful to have experienced birth this way! Recovery has been amazing in comparison to the former.


I have been able to hold Kyla and Seth and at the same time, which would've been impossible following a cesarean.


I love my little family!


5 comments:

  1. So happy for you!
    Love,
    Auntie K

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yay! I love that you have blogged this! I had a similar experience, my first was c-section and my next two were VBAC births. Isn't it empowering to have your baby the way God intended and not the way "man" wants to control the experience? Good for you! Proud of you. You look absolutely fabulous! Seth looks like his daddy! What a wonderful family you have.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love your post! So glad you had a good experience!!! you have such a sweet family!....that should come to AZ VERY soon! heehee

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hooray! So fun to read about your success! I'm glad I found your blog!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I found your blog! So happy for your successful delivery. You look so beautiful in the picture of you in the black dress! Miss your face. :)

    ReplyDelete