Wednesday, April 20, 2011

My tip-top tidy home

Recently a lot of people have been asking me how I keep my house so tidy...

Okay, so reality is that no one has ever mentioned anything about my house being tidy. I attribute this fact to the following three reasons:

Number 1. The word tidy is a bit outdated.

Number 2. I am always so embarrassed that my house isn't in tip-top shape, I don't invite many people
over. (tip-top - also an outdated term.)

Number 3. My home really isn't all that tidy.


This is my fake-tidy room that I cleaned to photograph and post here so I can win a Vintage Revivals makeover from Mandi. Vote for me here starting on May 1. I'm number two - not hard to find.

My grandparents were reminding me the other day about when I was a kiddo...how did Granddad say it..."We couldn't find you in the three foot towers of stuff in your room." And Grandma "Yes your room was always a huge mess darling." (I love how the word "darling" negates the negativity in the statement.) The words were spoken with love, and I can't fault anyone for speaking the truth as painful as it may be. So it turns out, I am naturally a bit of a slob, but I'm a recovering slob.


Here is another fake-tidy pic to shamelessly plug the contest I'm in. Vote for me here starting on May 1. Again, I'm number 2.

My friend Jamie posted this link on Facebook and its pretty much changed my life. Every month I fill in my calendar with all the tasks I have to do each day. Really the monthly tasks I haven't much touched. Its a process people, baby steps. The weekly tasks are what save me. So if you come over and the laundry is in the front room, or there are Tootie Frooties under the table, please know that I'm at least working on the laundry and the Tootie Frooties will get swept up on Thursday. I love knowing that even if something isn't perfect at the moment it has been or will be cleaned at some time in the week.

My new goals are:

Number 1. Bring back the word tidy (and tip-top while I'm at it.)

Number 2. Invite people over, because I love having people over, and here's the clincher - I'm going to stop making excuses, apologizing, or being embarrassed about the tidiness of my home. Take me as I am people, and I will to.

Number 3. Continue working on and succeeding at my Home Organization Plan.

Wish me luck! Old habits die hard, but die they do.

1 comment: