Saturday, June 25, 2011

Its Growing!

Its true!  And its beautiful!  to me...


Those sweet peas are going to be delicious.  They might be my favorite vegetable.  The onions, wow, we'll have a few too many.  We have a low onion consumption at the Hadley Home.


Cucumbers though, Kyla can eat a large one by her lonesome.
This one is grown from seed.  You can see where the starter failed on us.

I took this picture of Kyle from the car with both kids on my lap.  
That's how we roll.  
We have to take turns hiding out in the car with the kids because this thing is right on the river and the mosquitoes are thick.  We step out into a swarm of them, and while in the car we watch them kamikaze at all the windows.  Yuck!


We kept burying our beautiful potato plants.  This is not the correct way to grow them.  They grow like crazy and we thought we had to bury them every day.  They seriously grow 1-3 inches a day so it was getting a little nuts finding enough soil to cover the things.  I finally did a little youtube search about growing potatoes and it turns out, we just need to cover the bottom, where the potatoes will grow. If the "tubers" (potatoes) see the sun they turn green and I've been told a green potato can kill you, though youtube just said it would make you sick.  We welcome advice about potatoes.


Can't wait for these babies.  A sweet lady a few plots down covered these for us with netting to keep the birds out.

You know I've been dreaming of this stuff so I can make my grilled basil chicken. 
Oh, the thought of it.  I'm salivating.


We thought they died, but the tomato plants have been resurrected!


Our beautiful lettuce, but something else thinks its beautiful too.  In the bottom right corner you can see something ate some.  Its my lettuce punk.  Stay back.

Here she is in all her glory.  Amazingly enough, everything we planted is coming up, even the parsley, darn it, what do you do with parsley?  

2 comments:

  1. We are also having great fun with our garden. It's going to be 115º today so I don't expect it to last too much longer. I've shared countless zucchini and spaghetti squash and the neighbors don't yet hate me. It might be because we also share the tomatoes. :-) The peppers are loving the heat and are still producing. Yum! Love you! Auntie K

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are awesome! what a garden! I am very impressed that you did it with 2 little kiddos. We still go to the store...

    ReplyDelete